Bioinformatics Scientist Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Special Tissue Typing
200 Lothrop St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, US
Full-Time - Regular
37.4 - 63.36 / HOUR
The scientist works independently using a robust math toolbox to discover solutions for a diverse portfolio of interesting and challenging problems. The scientist develops, implements, and monitors advanced analytic, medical informatics, and predictive modeling tools for health care programs at the UPMC. The scientist normally works Monday through Friday day-light business hours or as needed.
- Maintain SOP documentation related to bioinformatics processes such as NGS data analysis pipelines.
- Development and maintenance of robust systems for managing and reporting NGS results.
- Development and maintenance of Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) data analysis pipelines.
- Assist with technical interpretation of NGS results in areas such as variant calling, copy number variation, or fusion detection.
- Assist in the establishment of cutoffs and guidelines for interpretation of NGS results using statistical analysis.
- Work with other lab members to publish new methods and results in scientific journals and conferences.
- Ph.D. degree in Bioinformatics, Computer Sciences or Biology with with 1 years experience in a computational role OR M.S. degree M.S. degree with 2 or more years experience in a scientific role
- Requirements:Linux/Unix.Python. Next-Generation Sequencing data analysis experience.Strong analytical skills.
- Familiarity with commonly used databases and bioinformatics tools (e.g. samtools, bedtools, IGV, ANNOVAR, GATK) and file formats (e.g. BED, VCF, FASTQ, BAM) preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Person must demonstrate a high degree of professionalism, enthusiasm and initiative on a daily basis.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment a must.
- Attention to detail is critical to the success of this position
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Who We Are
<p>At UPMC, we're all here for the same reason - to provide outstanding care. From nursing to finance, pharmacy to software development, each of us contributes in our own way, in our own career path. </p><p>We encourage growth through leadership development, skill building, and continuing education, so that employees can explore their interests and define their careers, while always playing a part in life changing medicine. And, while our opportunities vary, we remain united by the same values across our system:
</p><ul><li>Quality & Safety</li><li>Dignity & Respect</li><li>Caring & Listening</li><li>Responsibility & Integrity</li><li>Excellence & Innovation
</li></ul><p>If you too are driven by these values, we’re ready for you. Find your ideal job at UPMC today!</p>