Central Sterile Processing Technician Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
UPMC St. Margaret
Patient Care Support
815 Freeport Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15215, US
Full-Time - Regular
13.73 - 20.98 / HOUR
DescriptionAre you looking for a career with growth opportunity in the healthcare industry in a great community environment? Apply today at UPMC St. Margaret's Hospital!
To perform those duties necessary for the proper decontamination, cleaning, inspection, assembly, packaging, sterilization, storage, distribution and documentation of reusable surgical instrumentation and equipment according to established procedures. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Prepares and assembles surgical tray and equipment following established tray listings for issue, storage, or further processing.
- Conforms and adheres to department policies concerning decontamination, sterile processing, infection control and safety.
- Maintains a working knowledge of, and is able to effectively troubleshoot, all decontamination/sterilization equipment.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by authorized personnel or as may be required to meet emergency situations
- Demonstrates knowledge of performance improvement tools and techniques. Continuously improves the quality of care and the work environment of outcomes and the integration of research and best practices into daily work. Shares learning from improvements with other units and/or spreads across the business unit or system.
- Practices solid verbal and written communication skills, and is able to articulate and translate to other care providers and to negotiate and make recommendations for changes in unit practices Documentation is comprehensive and promotes communication between caregivers. Demonstrates critical thinking in the analysis of clinical, social, safety, psychological and spiritual issues. Incorporates national professional organization as well as business unit and health system's goals to improve patient safety, quality and satisfaction of the patient experience in daily work. Creates a caring and compassionate patient focused experience by building healing relationships with colleagues. Disseminates new knowledge and innovations through presentations, posters, and publications.
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by building teams and relationships through mentoring and modeling uplifting and positive communication. Coaches colleagues on cultural diversity and addresses workplace horizontal violence and impairment. Demonstrates accountability to self and others for safe work hours, time management and healthy lifestyles.
- Demonstrates interest in the development of others and positively impacts the lives of patients/families, peers, and members of the healthcare team through mentoring, education, and knowledge sharing. Seeks opportunities to share expertise with other members of the healthcare team within and beyond the clinical unit/department.
- Demonstrates accountability for professional development that improves the quality of professional practice and the quality of patient care. Makes recommendations for the improvement of clinical care and the health of the workplace and welcomes and participates in change initiatives. Leads by investing and building healthy relationships among colleagues and other disciplines. Shows the ability to set priorities.
- Monitors, reads, documents, and interprets all parameters for all types of sterilizers to ensure proper function.
- Develops and improves skills through initiative, attendance and participation at educational programs
- Communicates appropriately using good interpersonal skills.
- Assesses supplies required for prescribed standard surgical procedures and sets up case carts. Maintains inventory, collects, disassembles, inspects, cleans, disinfects and reassembles all instrument trays patient care equipment.
- Displays awareness of cost containment in the organization of work by using economy in time, motion and material.
- Demonstrates UPMC's commitment to the Core Values by understanding the needs of patients, their families, physicians, and co-workers and doing what is required the first time, every time by being responsible, sensitive, accurate, timely, coordinated and thorough.
- Participates in performance improvement activities.
- Participates as a team member and is accountable for own work responsibilities.
- Cleans and decontaminates reusable equipment, instruments, and supplies, manually and mechanically.
QualificationsHigh school Graduate or equivalent. Six months of healthcare experience or currently enrolled in an Accredited Surgical Technician/Sterile Processing Program Preferred
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
Willing to pursue CBSPD or IAHCSMM certification after one year of experience in the department preferred
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Who We Are
<p>At UPMC, we're all here for the same reason - to provide outstanding care. From nursing to finance, pharmacy to software development, each of us contributes in our own way, in our own career path. </p><p>We encourage growth through leadership development, skill building, and continuing education, so that employees can explore their interests and define their careers, while always playing a part in life changing medicine. And, while our opportunities vary, we remain united by the same values across our system:
</p><ul><li>Quality & Safety</li><li>Dignity & Respect</li><li>Caring & Listening</li><li>Responsibility & Integrity</li><li>Excellence & Innovation
</li></ul><p>If you too are driven by these values, we’re ready for you. Find your ideal job at UPMC today!</p>