Clinician - Ortho/Neuro Unit Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Altoona, PA, US
Full-Time - Regular
Tower 11 - Ortho/Neuro Unit
Two 12 hour shifts / Two 8 hour shifts
Tower 11 is a 44 bed,
orthopedic, trauma, neurological, medical surgical monitored unit, serving the
adult population. We are the unit of choice for patients with orthopedic
surgeries, neurological surgeries, fractures, trauma, neurological disorders
and medical cases. We are trained in caring for complex fractures and
post-operative care of joint replacements.
What makes Tower 11 a special
place to work? We have an amazing team of Nurses, Nursing Assistants, Physical
Therapists, Physicians, and Case Management, who collaborate to provide
exceptional patient care to our diverse patient population.
As a team member on Tower 11,
you will enjoy a leadership team that is invested in your growth, a team
philosophy and diverse clinical experiences. Come and join our team on Tower 11
to enhance your career.
The Clinician is a highly developed role model of professional nursing practice with focused expertise and accountabilities in one or more of the following: expert clinical practice, teaching/development, and/or evidence based practice. This role partners with management in the achievement of a culture of excellence in professional nursing practice and patient care. The Clinician, under the direction of the Unit Director or Department Manager, assists in the completion of employee evaluations, selection and hiring of staff, and in performance management. The Clinician has the authority, responsibility, and shift accountability for the delivery of nursing care through the use of the nursing process. The Clinician, in collaboration with other health care professionals, applies superior clinical knowledge and skills to achieve quality patient care outcomes. The Clinician is responsible for providing service-based education and clinical expertise for staff including orientation and training, consultation on practice issues and general coordination of clinical activities on a shift basis. They must demonstrate the knowledge and skills to provide care that is relevant to patients under their care, as well as apply principles of growth and development over the life span. The Clinician also must possess the ability to assess and interpret patient data needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his or her age specific needs. The Clinician demonstrates a commitment to the community and to the nursing profession.
- Applies nursing knowledge and skills within the framework of Relationship Based Care, using the nursing process to meet the clinical, psychosocial and spiritual needs of the patient and family. Practices solid verbal and written communication skills, and is able to articulate and translate the patient's condition to other care providers and to negotiate and make recommendations for changes in patient care and unit practices. Patient documentation is comprehensive and promotes communication between caregivers. Demonstrates critical thinking in the analysis of clinical, social, safety, psychological and spiritual issues for the patient care within an episode of care. Incorporates national professional organization as well as business unit and health system's goals to improve patient safety, quality and satisfaction of the patient experience in daily work. Creates a caring and compassionate patient focused experience by building healing relationships with patients, families and colleagues. Disseminates new knowledge and innovations through presentations, posters, and publications.
- Demonstrates interest in the development of others and positively impacts the lives of patients/families, peers, and members of the healthcare team through mentoring, education, and knowledge sharing. Actively participates in the role of preceptor for student nurses, nurse interns, graduate and experienced nurses and assists with the development of new preceptors in their role. Mentors and role models quest for continuous learning through formal education and the development of others. Seeks opportunities to share expertise with other members of the healthcare team within and beyond the clinical unit/department.
- Demonstrates knowledge of performance improvement tools and techniques. Continuously improves the quality of care and the work environment of outcomes and the integration of research and best practices into daily work. Shares learning from improvements with other units and/or spreads across the business unit or system.
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by building teams and relationships through mentoring and modeling uplifting and positive communication. Coaches colleagues on cultural diversity and addresses workplace horizontal violence and impairment. Demonstrates accountability to self and others for safe work hours, time management and healthy lifestyles.
- Serves as a leader in clinical nursing practice, identifying patient and staff focused opportunities for improvement and leading the change process. Identifies, educates and supports the psychological and learning needs of staff during change and transition. Practices participatory leadership and is an active member of shared leadership at the unit, facility or system level. Assumes formal leadership responsibilities for one or more of the following: quality improvement, evidence based practice, GN or new hire on-boarding. Assists the Unit/Department Leader with the peer review process.
- Demonstrated competence as a Professional Staff Nurse.
- Must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and/or interact appropriately to the ages of the patients served by his/her assigned unit as specified below.
- Must also demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patients status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patients requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs and to provide the care needs as described in the department policy and procedures.
- Minimum 3 years experience.
- BSN required/MSN or CNL preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive, caring relationships with executives, managers, physicians, non-physician providers, ancillary and support staff, other departments, and patients/families.
- Ability to work productively and effectively within a complex environment, handle multiple/changing priorities and specialized equipment.
- Exemplary clinical judgment with critical thinking, analytical and problem solving abilities required as related to various aspects of patient care.
- Critical thinking skills necessary to exercise and to lead others in application of the nursing process.
- Mobility and visual manual dexterity.
- Physical stamina for frequent walking, standing, lifting and positioning of patients.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
Current Pennsylvania licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse. National Certification preferred. CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Act 34 Criminal Clearance
- Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- National Institute of Health Stroke Scale Certification
- Registered Nurse
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Who We Are
At UPMC, we're all here for the same reason - to provide outstanding care. From nursing to finance, pharmacy to software development, each of us contributes in our own way, in our own career path.
We encourage growth through leadership development, skill building, and continuing education, so that employees can explore their interests and define their careers, while always playing a part in life changing medicine. And, while our opportunities vary, we remain united by the same values across our system:
- Quality & Safety
- Dignity & Respect
- Caring & Listening
- Responsibility & Integrity
- Excellence & Innovation
If you too are driven by these values, we’re ready for you. Find your ideal job at UPMC today!