Environmental Services Asst Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Altoona, PA, US
Full-Time - Regular
0 - 0 / HOUR
Fulltime - Evening with
This is a union position.
Have you always wanted to get your
healthcare career started? Are you interested in a position that offers
terrific benefits and opportunities to grow? Do you enjoy working
"hands on" in a team environment? Then you may be a perfect fit
for our role in the Environmental Services Department at UPMC Altoona.
UPMC Altoona is currently looking
for a fulltime Environmental Services Assistant to fill an evening shift.This position will work rotating weekends and
Performs all manner and variations of utility or general work relative to the Environmental Services Department's responsibility to maintain a clean and aseptic internal Hospital environment which will include the physical, entomological (free of insects), osmological (free of odors) and safety environment and will or may include the operation or use of any or all types, styles, or mode of equipment, supplies, material, linens or products presently in use or adopted for use in the present, near, or foreseeable future where it is relevant either to the department, job performance or its use is adopted, required,, requested, or directed by the Department Director or Hospital Management.
- Employee operates all departmental equipment in a safe, orderly, and efficient manner. Upon completion of equipment usage, must maintain equipment before putting back in the proper storage location; i.e., wipe the entire machine down, wrap the cords in a neat orderly fashion after cleaning assigned areas.
- Climbs ladders to hang cubicle drapes and window drapes or to reach areas for other cleaning/disinfecting purposes.
- Cleans and services hospital building areas, moves furniture, equipment, and supplies in and around hospital departments, and performs a variety of housekeeping and other duties to maintain the hospital in an orderly and sanitary condition as assigned.
- Washes walls, ceilings, and inside windows, by hand, using water, cleaning solution, sponge, and cloths or machine; may be called upon to wash outside windows and screens. Washes drapes, cubicles, mops, and rags when requested by the Supervisor or Department Director.Gathers and disposes of refuse; washes wastebaskets and large refuse containers and relines with plastic bags; cleans light fixtures, tops of windows, door frames and other high places using ladders or scaffolds when necessary.
- When requested by Supervision, moves equipment, furniture, bulk moves of files both on and off site; procurement and/or return of files from an already established filing system
- Uses chemicals in a safe/efficient manner according to Hospital/departmental guidelines. Responsibility of employees to wear all personal protective equipment as required.
- Disinfects areas by scrubbing and spraying with approved germicide cleaner
- Terminally cleans and disinfects all patient rooms, isolation rooms, floors; beds, restrooms, furniture and equipment after a transfer or discharge from a patient following Infection Control procedures.
- Collects all regular and infectious waste in a manner established by the Infection Control Committee and/or infectious waste guidelines.
- Scours, polishes, and washes sinks, tubs, mirrors, and other plumbing fixtures; cleans water coolers and replaces disposables, such as towels, soap, liquid soap dispensers, and toilet tissue.
- Employee will be held accountable for daily and routine quality checks/reviews and to make all improvements that are deemed necessary.
- Sweeps, mops, vacuums, and wet scrubs floors, halls, and stairways.
- Receives daily assignment and supplies; transports them to the work area. At the end of shift, returns unused supplies to hopper and/or supply room; also returns used and unused mops, cleans utility cart and equipment.
- Performs repetitive tasks in maintaining an assigned area of the Hospital in a sanitary, orderly, and attractive condition.
- Assembles necessary cleaning supplies and equipment for transporting to the assigned work area.
- Makes discharge beds with clean linen in the prescribed manner. Requests help in heavy furniture or equipment moves; notifies supervisor when supplies are low; reports any mechanical failure or conditions as observed in assigned areas for preparation of work request for Engineering Department. .
- High school graduate or GED required.
- Experience Required: Prior training in institutional cleaning desired but not necessary; previous experience in similar work preferred.
- Other qualifications include the following: must be able to lift and handle heavy to light loads by pushing or pulling refuse carts and electric or battery powered equipment; must be able to bend, stoop, climb, push, pull, or crawl; must be able to follow written and oral instructions, policies and procedures; must be able to stand or walk for long periods of time;
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Who We Are
<p>At UPMC, we're all here for the same reason - to provide outstanding care. From nursing to finance, pharmacy to software development, each of us contributes in our own way, in our own career path. </p><p>We encourage growth through leadership development, skill building, and continuing education, so that employees can explore their interests and define their careers, while always playing a part in life changing medicine. And, while our opportunities vary, we remain united by the same values across our system:
</p><ul><li>Quality & Safety</li><li>Dignity & Respect</li><li>Caring & Listening</li><li>Responsibility & Integrity</li><li>Excellence & Innovation
</li></ul><p>If you too are driven by these values, we’re ready for you. Find your ideal job at UPMC today!</p>