Histology Lab Technician Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
300 Halket St
Pittsburgh, PA 15213, US
Part-Time - Regular
Under supervision, assist in the routine processing and preparation of tissue samples and various solutions and stains in a clinical laboratory.
- Comply with all UPMC and departmental policies, procedures and work practices.
- Perform ancillary or miscellaneous tasks such as filing, cleaning, stocking supplies.
- Perform other duties and assignments as assigned by lab leadership.
- Accurately prepares slides for microtomy using the barcode label in order to maintain correct patient identification throughout the process.
- Supports academic mission of department.
- Maintain instruments following quality control specifications and daily maintenance protocols.
- Perform QC checks at each phase of processing/ staining.
- Process and prepare surgical and autopsy tissue specimens for embedding, cutting, staining and coverslipping. Embed and cut specialized tissue based on location including minute biopsy protocols.
- Ensures all tissues are embedded and cut according to department specific protocols with proper orientation and complete sections including no folds, chatter, artifacts or floaters.
- Demonstrate complete knowledge of CoPath related to Histology workflow.
High school diploma. 1 year of clinical laboratory experience or 1 year of experience through training in a laboratory either on the job or through a vocational school.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Histology Technician (HT) certification from the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) is preferred.
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Who We Are
At UPMC, we're all here for the same reason - to provide outstanding care. From nursing to finance, pharmacy to software development, each of us contributes in our own way, in our own career path.
We encourage growth through leadership development, skill building, and continuing education, so that employees can explore their interests and define their careers, while always playing a part in life changing medicine. And, while our opportunities vary, we remain united by the same values across our system:
- Quality & Safety
- Dignity & Respect
- Caring & Listening
- Responsibility & Integrity
- Excellence & Innovation
If you too are driven by these values, we’re ready for you. Find your ideal job at UPMC today!