Job Description Job Attributes+
200 Lothrop St, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, US
Full-Time - Regular
18.79 - 31.23 / HOUR
Process and prepare various types of tissue samples using a variety of techniques in a clinical laboratory.
- Demonstrate complete knowledge of CoPath related to Histology workflow.
- Comply with all UPMC and departmental policies, procedures and work practices.
- Demonstrates progression of skils towards working independently in an advanced staining area.
- Perform ancillary or miscellaneous tasks such as filing, cleaning, stocking supplies.
- Perform QC checks at each phase of processing/ staining
- Process and prepare surgical and autopsy tissue specimens for embedding, cutting, staining and coverslipping. Embed and cut specialized tissue based on location including minute biopsy protocols.
- Supports academic mission of department.
- Ensures all tissues are embedded and cut according to department specific protocols with proper orientation and complete sections including no folds, chatter, artifacts or floaters.
- Accurately prepares slides for microtomy using the barcode label in order to maintain correct patient identification throughout the process.
- Maintain instruments following quality control specifications and daily maintenance protocols.
- High school diploma.
- Completion of the educational requirements needed to take the Histotechnician (HT) exam; successful completion of a NAACLS accredited HT program within the last 5 years or an Associate's degree or at least 60 semester hours of academic credit from a regionally accredited college/university with a combination of 12 semester hours of biology and chemistry.
- 1 year of clinical laboratory experience post-training is preferred.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Am Society Clinical PathologyHistology Technician (HT) certification from ASCP is required within 1 year of hire.
- American Society for Clinical Pathology
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Who We Are
At UPMC, we're all here for the same reason - to provide outstanding care. From nursing to finance, pharmacy to software development, each of us contributes in our own way, in our own career path.
We encourage growth through leadership development, skill building, and continuing education, so that employees can explore their interests and define their careers, while always playing a part in life changing medicine. And, while our opportunities vary, we remain united by the same values across our system:
- Quality & Safety
- Dignity & Respect
- Caring & Listening
- Responsibility & Integrity
- Excellence & Innovation
If you too are driven by these values, we’re ready for you. Find your ideal job at UPMC today!