Medical Lab Technician Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
30725 PUH Automated Testing Lab
3477 Euler Way, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, US
Full-Time - Regular
3:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
17.62 - 29.28 / HOUR
Provide for the accurate performance of routine and STAT laboratory analytical methods. These tests are used in the diagnosis and treatment of patients and in the evaluation of a patient's response to treatment. Apply competent clinical knowledge to achieve accurate clinical testing which leads to quality patient care outcomes. Work in conjunction with and under the supervision of Medical Technologists.
- Interacts with all laboratory customers professionally. Responds to telephone inquiries courteously and in a timely manner. Practices pleasant communications both internally and externally.
- Meets established testing protocols for precision and accuracy in a timely and efficient manner. Recognizes critical, abnormal and unacceptable test results and follows-up according to established protocols.
- Independently performs Moderately Complex, or Waived tests (qualitative and quantitative). Performs High Complexity testing only with the oversight of a Medical technologist, or with result review by a Supervisor or Manager.
- Demonstrates dependability, reliability, and independent judgment. Recognizes priorities to accommodate department needs and acceptance of appropriate authority.
- Performs and documents Quality Control according to established protocols. Informs supervisory personnel and/or pathologists of any unusual or problematic incidents.
- Assists with the training and orienting of new employees, students and residents, using established competency and workstation operational guidelines.
- Monitors and maintains supplies for those functions for which the position is responsible; uses materials and reagents in a cost-effective manner.
- Processes specimens for analysis. Enters accurate patient demographic information and laboratory test orders into the laboratory information system, while ascertaining adequacy of patient information as well as sample integrity.
- Honors confidentiality of patient information. Follows all compliance guidelines.
- Adheres to all established laboratory and hospital policies, procedures, methods, quality assurance, proficiency testing, and personnel policies.
- Follows all biohazard, chemical, and sharps safety guidelines. Maintains a safe work environment.
- Maintains instruments following procedural calibrations, quality control, and daily maintenance and troubleshooting when necessary.
- Associate degree in a laboratory science with certification (or eligible new graduate) from an accredited institution as either a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT),
- or as a Clinical Laboratory Assistant (CLA),
- OR Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited institution with a major in biological, chemical, physical, or clinical laboratory science AND ASCP or equivalent certification,
- OR equivalent education and experience as defined by CLIA '88 for individuals performing high complexity testing.
- Minimum 1 year's experience in a hospital laboratory preferred.
- Familiarity with medical terminology and laboratory information systems preferred.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Medical Laboratory Technician MLT(ASCP)
- or Clinical Laboratory Assistant (CLA) certification preferred.
- New York license required for NY locations.
- Act 34
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Who We Are
At UPMC, we're all here for the same reason - to provide outstanding care. From nursing to finance, pharmacy to software development, each of us contributes in our own way, in our own career path.
We encourage growth through leadership development, skill building, and continuing education, so that employees can explore their interests and define their careers, while always playing a part in life changing medicine. And, while our opportunities vary, we remain united by the same values across our system:
- Quality & Safety
- Dignity & Respect
- Caring & Listening
- Responsibility & Integrity
- Excellence & Innovation
If you too are driven by these values, we’re ready for you. Find your ideal job at UPMC today!