Patient Care Associate - Casual, Behavioral Health Unit Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Extended Acute Care Svcs
Patient Care Support
100 Fairfield Drive, Seneca, PA 16346, US
Casual - Limited
12.54 - 19 / HOUR
The employee in the Patient Care Associate position is responsible for basic physical and behavioral assessment and care of patients under the supervision of a Registered Nurse.
- Assist the nurse and other direct care staff in the provision of physical care.
- Learn and utilize up-to-date technology and practices in the delivery of patient care.
- Attend a minimum of 2 unit based or institute wide in-services yearly.
- Maintain a safe and therapeutic environment.
- Manage crisis situations effectively using positive approaches.
- Participate in interdisciplinary activities including treatment team, staff meetings, co-worker feedback process and other unit based committees as assigned.
- Assist in the preparation and organization of various paperwork completed on the night shift that ensures smooth coordination of care provided throughout the day.
- Take initiative to ensure that unit environment is maintained.
- Maintain competency requirements.
- Encourage patients to perform or assist them in the performance of activities of daily living.
- Document in the medical record according to established policies.
- Assist in the implementation and maintenance of the milieu program providing a consistent and therapeutic approach to patient care.
- Maintain on-going communication with the treatment team and charge nurse regarding observations of patients' medical and behavioral symptoms and the care provided.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to communicate adequately in English both verbally and written.
- The incumbent must be physically capable of providing direct total physical care to unpredictable, potentially violent mentally ill patients as necessary, including lifting, supporting, running towards or away from areas where problems are occurring and pushing and pulling equipment such as wheelchairs, stretchers and beds.
- May in the course of their job duties be in rooms where medications are stored.
- No contact with medications is allowed.
- In the course of duties may be asked to distribute medications to the nurse at the bedside.
- Access to medications is limited to the distribution of the medication to the nurse.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- Comprehensive Crisis Mgt within 30 days of hire or transfer into department
- CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Comprehensive Crisis Management (CCMC)
- Act 34
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Who We Are
<p>At UPMC, we're all here for the same reason - to provide outstanding care. From nursing to finance, pharmacy to software development, each of us contributes in our own way, in our own career path. </p><p>We encourage growth through leadership development, skill building, and continuing education, so that employees can explore their interests and define their careers, while always playing a part in life changing medicine. And, while our opportunities vary, we remain united by the same values across our system:
</p><ul><li>Quality & Safety</li><li>Dignity & Respect</li><li>Caring & Listening</li><li>Responsibility & Integrity</li><li>Excellence & Innovation
</li></ul><p>If you too are driven by these values, we’re ready for you. Find your ideal job at UPMC today!</p>