Patient Care Technician - Detox (STEADY EVENINGS) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Patient Care Support
1400 Locust Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, US
Full-Time - Regular
14.61 - 22.93 / HOUR
Located in downtown Pittsburgh, UPMC Mercy is an urban facility full of opportunities for those looking to take the next step in their career!
We are currently hiring a full-time Patient Care Technician to support our Detox department!
This position will consist of steady evening shifts, working from 3pm to 11pm.
UPMC Mercy’s Detoxification unit is an 18-bed acute medical detox unit; it is one of only four such detox units in western Pennsylvania and the only of two in Allegheny County. Our unit sees a unique variety of medical and behavioral issues with patients who suffer from chemical dependency and addiction. We handle withdrawal in addition to myriad co-occurring medical issues and psychiatric disorders. The Detoxification unit includes relaxation lounges and group rooms for the patients, and we focus on education and motivation toward a lifestyle of recovery. Our tight-knit, dedicated staff is supported by certified addiction counselors, social workers, and care managers, many of whom are specialized in treating our unique population.
Patient Care Technicians (PCTs) are vital partners in the patient care provided at UPMC. They work on patient care units and perform a variety of important basic and advanced skills. They work closely and continuously with patients, partnering with nurses and other professionals, to make a big difference in how patients recover and experience their hospital stay.
Candidates without previous PCT experience in a hospital-based setting will be required to attend a 7 day mandatory training course. This course is held during weekdays and daylight hours. All 7 days are mandatory and are scheduled in a structured classroom setting.
- Provides patient care including assisting with patient procedures and activities of daily living.
- Assists with physical, respiratory and cardiopulmonary therapies.
- Provides feedback to the RN regarding patient care and reports changes in patient status.
- Performs the UPMC nursing core nursing assistant responsibilities (blood glucose, weights, vital signs, I&O, specimen collections and Foley care) AND at least four of the following BU identified tasks: phlebotomy, 12 lead EKG, simple dressing, Foley catheter removal, point of care testing, bladder scan, straight catheter, or IV catheter removal.
- Assures equipment malfunctions are reported to the appropriate department.
- Establishes appropriate and effective communication with other departments.
- Establishes professional and respectful interpersonal relationships.
- Contributes to the universal unit activities including, but not limited to, responding to call lights and telephones, passing meal trays and transporting patients.
- Constructively receives feedback and direction.
- Identifies and communicates learning needs to the unit director.
- Takes action to improve knowledge, skills and performance.
- Requests assistance in planning and prioritizing activities as needed.
- Participates in self-review as requested by the unit director.
- Provides instruction to patients and their families under the direction of the RN.
- May apply, monitor and remove patient restraints as per physician or hospital protocol.
- Demonstrates the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with all members of the health care team.
- Demonstrate understanding of cultural diversity, horizontal violence and impairment in the health professions.
- Cares for patients and self by supporting safety in the workplace.
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation and commitment to patients and colleagues.
- Strictly adheres to all policies and procedures relative to patient care and hospital related information.
- Complies with safety policies and procedures including standard precautions.
- Suggests and supports changes within the department.
- Assumes responsibility for assignment and views problems as challenges.
- Demonstrates awareness of behavior on the efficient functioning of the department.
- Supports department based projects and quality initiatives.
- Documents in the medical record according to established procedures.
- Performs assigned work in a timely and productive manner.
- Completes department clerical functions as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- If no previous hospital or pre-hospital training, successful completion of UPMC patient care technician class OR successful completion of first year of clinical work in a nursing program.
- Successful completion of basic information system training.
- Microcomputer experience preferred.Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic or currently enrolled in an EMT or Paramedic program preferred.
- Access to medications is limited to the distribution of the medication to the nurse.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
CCM training required within the first 60 days of hire and annually thereafter.
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Who We Are
<p>At UPMC, we're all here for the same reason - to provide outstanding care. From nursing to finance, pharmacy to software development, each of us contributes in our own way, in our own career path. </p><p>We encourage growth through leadership development, skill building, and continuing education, so that employees can explore their interests and define their careers, while always playing a part in life changing medicine. And, while our opportunities vary, we remain united by the same values across our system:
</p><ul><li>Quality & Safety</li><li>Dignity & Respect</li><li>Caring & Listening</li><li>Responsibility & Integrity</li><li>Excellence & Innovation
</li></ul><p>If you too are driven by these values, we’re ready for you. Find your ideal job at UPMC today!</p>