Professional Staff Nurse, BSN (Flex Full-Time) - Critical Care Unit Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
1211 Wilmington Avenue, New Castle, PA 16105, US
Full-Time - Flex
24.48 - 35.28 / HOUR
UPMC Jameson is currently hiring a Flex Full-Time Professional Staff Nurse to support the Critical Care Unit. Flex Full Time positions work a minimum of 28 hours per week, with the ability to flex up to 40 hours per week. Hours are adjusted for changes in patient or other work volume.
The critical care unit is a 12 bed unit that provides care to adult and geriatric patients. We provide care to a wide range of patients with diagnosis such as Sepsis, Diabetic Ketoacidosis, Acute Renal Failure, post PCI (radial and femoral approach), general surgery, thoracic surgery, and urologic surgery. We have a high volume of ventilator patients. Our unit also has the capability to do Neurology Tele-Medicine in every patient room so that the patient may be assessed by a neurologist not in the hospital setting. Our unit goal is the integration of UPMC Core Values into all care delivery and unit relationships (quality and safety; dignity and respect; caring and listening; responsibility and integrity; excellence and innovation).
Our RNs work a rotating schedule to ensure 24/7 coverage on the floor.
The Professional Staff Nurse provides highly competent patient care and treatment while demonstrating empathy and a passion for learning. A role that requires independent judgment, fluent communication, and candid partnership, the Professional Staff Nurse establishes relationships with physicians, other care providers, patients, and patients’ families in order to achieve desired patient outcomes throughout the continuum of care.
A Registered Nurse and a member of the care delivery team, you will set the standards for the level and quality of nursing care, and possess authority and accountability for its provision. At all times, you will exemplify a commitment to the community and to the nursing profession.
As a nurse at UPMC, you will find:
Competitive wages, with the highest BSN differential in the greater Pittsburgh area
An incomparable benefits package, including tuition reimbursement
Top clinicians, leading researchers, and the most modern equipment and technology in health care today
The Professional Staff Nurse is a valued step in the UPMC nursing career ladder, with opportunities for continued growth and advancement.
Title and salary will be determined based upon education and nursing experience.
- Actively participates in department or unit-specific quality improvement efforts. Identifies opportunity for quality improvement to colleagues and management. Takes personal responsibility in improving patient satisfaction with the quality of care and service. Utilizes research and evidence-based practice to support improvement in clinical care: identifies research issues or articles related to clinical specialty or areas of interest, discusses opportunities for quality improvement at multidisciplinary rounds, and influences patients' plans of care.
- Applies the nursing process within the framework of Relationship Based Care to create a healing environment. Formulates daily goals and a plan of care for patients that involves the patient as partner and considers the individual needs of the patient in a holistic manner. Demonstrates critical thinking in the identification of clinical, social, safety, psychological and spiritual issues for the patient care within an episode of care. Practices solid communication skills, and is able to articulate and translate the patient's condition to other care providers and to negotiate and make recommendations for changes in patient care and unit practices. Patient documentation is comprehensive and promotes communication between caregivers. Incorporates national professional organization as well as business unit and health system's goals to improve patient safety, quality and satisfaction. Creates a caring and compassionate patient focused experience by building healing relationships with patients, families and colleagues.
- Demonstrates accountability for professional development that improves the quality of professional practice and the quality of patient care. Actively participates in unit-based shared governance, goal setting and supports the change and transition process to improve quality of care and the practice environment. Serves as a highly engaged and full partner on the care team and responds willingly to care team member needs for assistance and partnership. Participates in work that improves patient care and the professional practice environment. Adapts to change and demonstrates flexibility with the change process.
- Demonstrates knowledge and provides critical nursing care for ventilator dependent patient: -Patients requiring hemodynamic monitoring -Patients requiring IABP -Pre and Post diagnostic and interventional coronary angiography -Pre and Post complex surgical patients -Patients with severe sepsis
- Demonstrates knowledge of adult learning principles (and/or teaching children if applicable) and applies in teaching of patients, families, students and new staff. Provides detailed and appropriate teaching to patients and families to effectively guide them through the episode of care as well as transition to another level of care and/or home. Supports the development of students, new staff and colleagues, may serve as a preceptor. Creates an environment of open dialogue, inquiry and continuous development by asking for feedback and improving practice.
- Develops and maintains productive working relationships internally and externally by demonstrating accountability for actions, enthusiasm, motivation and commitment to patients and colleagues. Demonstrates an understanding of cultural differences and holds peers accountable for healthy relationships. Maintains a conscious balance between work and personal life. Models safe work hours, time management and healthy lifestyle. Communicates with peers and management any safety hazards identified in the workplace.
Minimum six months of RN experience.
Must be able to demonstrate:
Knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and/or interact appropriately to the ages of the patients served by his/her assigned unit as specified below.
Knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span.
Ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs and to provide the care needs as described in the department policy and procedures.
Ability to establish and maintain positive, caring relationships with executives, managers, physicians, non-physician providers, ancillary and support staff, other departments, and patients/families.
Ability to work productively and effectively within a complex environment, handle multiple/changing priorities and specialized equipment.
Good clinical judgment with critical thinking, analytical, and problem solving abilities required as related to various aspects of patient care.
Critical thinking skills necessary to exercise and to lead others in application of the nursing process.
Mobility and visual manual dexterity.
Physical stamina for frequent walking, standing, lifting, and positioning of patients.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
- CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Current Pennsylvania licensure as a Registered Professional Nurse.
- UPMC approved national certification preferred.
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Who We Are
At UPMC, we're all here for the same reason - to provide outstanding care. From nursing to finance, pharmacy to software development, each of us contributes in our own way, in our own career path.
We encourage growth through leadership development, skill building, and continuing education, so that employees can explore their interests and define their careers, while always playing a part in life changing medicine. And, while our opportunities vary, we remain united by the same values across our system:
- Quality & Safety
- Dignity & Respect
- Caring & Listening
- Responsibility & Integrity
- Excellence & Innovation
If you too are driven by these values, we’re ready for you. Find your ideal job at UPMC today!