Professional Staff Nurse, Hospice (Weekends) Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
Family Hospice & Palliative Care OP
50 Moffett Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15243, US
Full-Time - Regular
25.79 - 37.43 / HOUR
Are you an experienced RN looking for a role with weekend shifts, supporting the amazing and dedicated Family Hospice team of UPMC? This is the role for you! The Hospice registered nurse plans, organizes and directs hospice care and is experienced in nursing, with emphasis on hospice education/experience. The professional nurse builds from the resources of the community to plan and direct services to meet the needs of individuals and families within their homes and communities.
This role will work weekend hours (3/12's or 4/10s) supporting the Family Hospice team caring for patients in the GIP or Hospitals, all around the Pittsburgh area.
- Focuses on customer service and continually strives to perform the duties of their job in a manner that will result in optimal patient satisfaction. Assigns other Interdisciplinary team members to assist in the appropriate delivery of services as ordered on the plan of care to the patient. Supervises and teaches other nursing personnel including LPNs and Home Health Aides. Identifies, investigates and recommends solutions to organization issues. Identifies any deficits or exceptional performance issues of other nursing personnel, LPNs and Aides, and recommends solutions Proven ability to facilitate change
- Completes an initial and comprehensive assessment of patient and family to determine hospice needs. Provides a complete physical assessment and history of current and previous illness (es). Provides direct patient care, evaluates outcomes and adjusts nursing care process as indicated to ensure optimal patient care. Initiates, coordinates and evaluates patient and family centered health teaching.
- Coordinates case management activities within an Interdisciplinary health care team to insure appropriate delivery of services to patient. Initiates, coordinates and insures ongoing communication with the physician and other members of the Interdisciplinary health care team. Attends and participates in patient care conferences, team meetings and other related meetings. Performs duties and job responsibilities in a fashion which coincides with the service management philosophy of the organization towards patients, visitors, staff, peers, physicians and other departments within the organization. Identifies, develops and participates in process improvement / QAPI opportunities within the hospice agency that will enhance the quality of the services we provide.
- Attend compliance training and adhere to the organization standards of conduct, policies and procedures. Constructively receives feedback and direction. Takes action to improve knowledge, skills and performance based on feedback or on self-identified developmental needs. Recognizes limitations and requests assistance and direction to meet performance goals Provides services to patients in home health as needed
- Establishes the plan of care in collaboration with the physician, patient, Interdisciplinary Team, and Quality Assurance Performance Improvement (QAPI) committee members in accordance with the physician orders and patient needs. Advises and consults with family and other agency personnel, as appropriate. Completes documentation including visit assessment, plan of treatment and verbal orders accurately and promptly on the laptop device or in written documentation while at the patient visit and within the agency's and regulatory standards. Data syncs (transmits) information same day. Exercise independent judgment in matters concerning emergent and non-emergent patient care needs and communicate with the physician. Participates in on-call coverage rotation for the agency. Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the hospice philosophy of care Maintains an up-to-date knowledge of symptom and pain management treatments to ensure appropriate care of hospice patients. Demonstrates ability to perform patient pronouncement of death and completes all required forms in a timely manner
- Graduate of an accredited school of professional nursing required.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- CHPN certification preferred. Minimum of 6 months of nursing experience in an Acute Care Facility or Skilled Care Facility Successful completion of Hospice orientation
- The individual must be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care and/or interact appropriately to the ages of the patients served by his/her assigned unit as specified below.
- They must also demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient's status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient's requirements relative to his/her age-specific needs and to provide the care needs as described in the department policy and procedures.
- Minimum 6 months experience.
- BSN preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive, caring relationships with executives, managers, physicians, non-physician providers, ancillary and support staff, other departments, and patients/families.
- Ability to work productively and effectively within a complex environment, handle multiple/changing priorities and specialized equipment.
- Good clinical judgment with critical thinking, analytical and problem solving abilities required as related to various aspects of patient care.
- Critical thinking skills necessary to exercise and to lead others in application of the nursing process.
- Mobility and visual manual dexterity.
- Physical stamina for frequent walking, standing, lifting and positioning of patients.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
Licensure/Certification: Palliative/Hospice nurse certification-PreferredCPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
UPMC is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran
Who We Are
<p>At UPMC, we're all here for the same reason - to provide outstanding care. From nursing to finance, pharmacy to software development, each of us contributes in our own way, in our own career path. </p><p>We encourage growth through leadership development, skill building, and continuing education, so that employees can explore their interests and define their careers, while always playing a part in life changing medicine. And, while our opportunities vary, we remain united by the same values across our system:
</p><ul><li>Quality & Safety</li><li>Dignity & Respect</li><li>Caring & Listening</li><li>Responsibility & Integrity</li><li>Excellence & Innovation
</li></ul><p>If you too are driven by these values, we’re ready for you. Find your ideal job at UPMC today!</p>