Psychiatric Nurse 90% Resource Pool Day/Night 3-12 hour shifts Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital
3811 O'Hara Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, US
Full-Time - Regular
0 - 26.22 / HOUR
of Americans face the reality of living with a mental illness. This is nearly
one in five adults. Are you searching for the opportunity to make an impact on
these individuals? Are you passionate about dispelling widespread stigma and
misunderstanding associated with mental health?
For more than 60 years,
UPMC Western Psychiatric Hospital has been a national leader in the treatment
of mental health and addictive disorders throughout the lifespan. In
conjunction with the Department of Psychiatry of the University of
Pittsburgh School of Medicine, we continue to strive to be one of the nation’s
foremost academic- based psychiatric care facilities and remain dedicated to
providing professionals with state-of-the-art training and assistance.
UPMC Western Psychiatric
Hospital is seeking a dedicated full time psychiatric nurse to
help support the inpatient Resource Pool for its Oakland
location. This position will work day/night rotation, with three 12 hour
shifts. The Psychiatric RN working in the Resource Pool will receive a rate differential.
The Psychiatric Nurse is
responsible for demonstrating clinical competence in the delivery of direct
patient care and the implementation of the milieu management program.
- Maintains competency requirements.
- Attends two unit-based or institute-wide inservices
- Serves as mentor to students and new employees.
- Learns and utilizes up-to-date technology in delivery
of patients care.
- Participates in interdisciplinary activities including,
treatment team, staff meeting, co-worker feedback process and other
committees as assigned.
- Follows research protocols as required.
- Performs a nursing assessment and initial plan of care
within 8 hours of patient's admission.
- Orients/educates patient regarding
- Documents in the medical record according to established
- Maintains current knowledge of medication policies and
practices, including side effects, dosage and patient response.
- Completes medication administration safely and
accurately, including transcription, administration and documentation according
to established policies.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of DSM IV diagnosis as
evidenced by individual, group and milieu therapeutic interventions.
- Manages crisis situations effectively using positive
- Adheres to Nursing Standards and Policies including ANA
Standards for Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing, ANA Professional Code for
Nurses, the WPIC policies and procedures and the Nurse Practice Act.
Performs point of care testing per unit (i.e., glucose monitoring,
- Performs charge RN responsibilities competently and
- Participates with unit management in Program
Development and Performance Improvement Activities.
- Graduation from an approved School of Nursing required.
- BSN preferred.
- Six months of experience in Clinical Psychiatry preferred.
- Successful completion of the central and unit specific orientation programs including the medication proficiency examination.
- The incumbent must by physically capable of providing direct total physical care to unpredictable, potentially violent, mentally ill patients as necessary including lifting, supporting, running towards or away from areas where problems are occurring, and pushing and pulling equipment, such as, wheelchairs, stretchers, and beds.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
- Act 33 Child Clearance with Renewal
- Act 34 Criminal Clearance with Renewal
- Act 73 FBI Clearance
- Basic Life Support or Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Comprehensive Crisis Management
- Registered Nurse
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Who We Are
At UPMC, we're all here for the same reason - to provide outstanding care. From nursing to finance, pharmacy to software development, each of us contributes in our own way, in our own career path.
We encourage growth through leadership development, skill building, and continuing education, so that employees can explore their interests and define their careers, while always playing a part in life changing medicine. And, while our opportunities vary, we remain united by the same values across our system:
- Quality & Safety
- Dignity & Respect
- Caring & Listening
- Responsibility & Integrity
- Excellence & Innovation
If you too are driven by these values, we’re ready for you. Find your ideal job at UPMC today!