Registered Nurse - Inpatient Behavioral Health Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
3G Behavioral Health
Altoona, PA, US
Full-Time - Regular
0 - 0 / HOUR
This position is eligible for a generous sign-on
bonus! Whether you’re a recent Graduate Nurse looking to launch your
nursing career, or a seasoned RN seeking a change, now is your moment to find
your place at UPMC!
Sign-On Bonus Details (Full Time or Flex Full Time
- $10,000 sign-on bonus available for nurses with over
two years of experience
- $5,000 sign-on bonus available for Graduate Nurses and
nurses with less than two years of experience
*Part Time status positions are also eligible for sign-on
bonus at a prorated amount - $5,000 for experienced nurses with over 2 years of
experience, and $2,500 for GNs and nurses with less than 2 years of experience
Inpatient Behavioral Health
1.0 Day/Eve rotation
The Inpatient Behavioral Health unit is a 34 bed short stay stabilization unit which treats Adolescents (14years up to 18yrs), Adults, and Geriatrics. The patients admitted to the Inpatient Behavioral Health unit presents with mental illnesses such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, schizoaffective disorder, depression, substance induced mood disorder, personality disorders, and substance abuse. The services, treatments, procedures, and activities provided to the patients on the Inpatient Behavioral Health unit include, but are not limited to: psychiatric evaluation, nursing assessment, psychosocial assessment, activity therapy, group counseling, medication management (monitoring, review, and education), and discharge planning.
Our unit offers experienced staff (Psychiatrist, RN/LPN, Social Workers and mental health workers) who are dedicated to the wellness of our patients.
Provides direct and indirect care to patients utilizing the nursing process. Provides leadership for the nursing team, and contributes to the education of a variety of members of the staff and students.
- Planninga.Includes the patient and family/significant other in the formulation of the plan of care.b. Prioritizes patient's needs appropriately.c. Plans, conducts, and documents patient care conferences.d. Maintains a current plan of care for each assigned patient.e. Utilizes appropriate community agencies and other health care professionals in planning care.
- Serves as a consultant to other members of the health-care team.
- Demonstrates professionalism in providing patient care.
- Evaluationa. Revises plan of care, as necessary based on daily evaluation of patient.b. Evaluates patient's outcome based on previously defined goals.c. Evaluates and documents the patient's response to care, teaching, and treatment.
- Implementation:a. Utilizes nursing care protocols and standards.b. Carries out and documents procedures according to Hospital Policy.c. Performs technical skills safely and accurately, and demonstrates a working knowledge of equipment.d. Transcribes and implements physicians' orders appropriately.e. Demonstrates knowledge of the physiological basis for the nursing care delivery.f. Demonstrates knowledge of medication and IV therapy administration according to policy.g. Initiates and coordinates health teaching for patients and families/significant other based on individual needs.
- Identifies environmental factors which deter effective patient care, initiates action, and contributes ideas towards resolution.
- Identified potential problems and initiates appropriate measures.
- Utilizes Bed Management System, Alpha, CPOE, and all other computer systems appropriately,
- Assessmenta. Assesses patient and family needs and documents this information appropriately in the computer or on appropriate form.b. Reassesses patient every eight hours, and, as necessary.
- Adheres to universal precautions.
- Complies with established occupational exposure policies.
- Engages the medical staff and other professionals in discussion of patient care problems resulting in mutually developed plans of care.
- Completes annual competency validation activities.
- Maintains proficiency and competency in point of care testing as defined in the evaluation criteria established by the laboratory.
Education and Formal Training Required:
- Must hold a current RN license to practice nursing in the State of Pennsylvania.
- Behavioral Health experience is preferred.
- Must satisfactorily complete the Nursing Departments orientation program and probationary period.
- Experience Required: None. Behavioral health experience preferred.
- BLS required. ACLS preferred, PALS for specific units.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
CPR required based on AHA standards that include both a didactic and skills demonstration component within 30 days of hire
Basic Life Support (BLS) OR Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
Registered Nurse (RN)
Act 33 with renewal
Act 34 with renewal
Act 73 FBI Clearance
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
GN level candidate starting rate - $26.31 (BSN $27.56)
Experienced RN starting rate - starting rate commensurate with experience (BSN
When you are ready to take your career to the next level, UPMC Altoona has a RN
Career Ladder, which allows you to enhance your practice and receive additional
compensation! Ask your recruiter for details!
Who We Are
At UPMC, we're all here for the same reason - to provide outstanding care. From nursing to finance, pharmacy to software development, each of us contributes in our own way, in our own career path.
We encourage growth through leadership development, skill building, and continuing education, so that employees can explore their interests and define their careers, while always playing a part in life changing medicine. And, while our opportunities vary, we remain united by the same values across our system:
- Quality & Safety
- Dignity & Respect
- Caring & Listening
- Responsibility & Integrity
- Excellence & Innovation
If you too are driven by these values, we’re ready for you. Find your ideal job at UPMC today!